Widely considered a psychostimulant much like caffeine, nicotine, and cocaine, Kratom has been widely used to heal pain, combat fatigue and increase productivity. It has been especially useful for workers to fight fatigue and tiredness and it works as both a stimulant and sedative, thus proving itself highly beneficial in multiple causes. However, there have been controversies surrounding the plant as there have been cases of severe addiction to it and compared to other prescribed psychostimulants such as heroin. So, make sure you have a prescription from a genuine physician first before buying kratom.
Background history of Kratom:
Kratom originates from dried leaves of Mitragyna Speciosa, a tropical tree that grows specifically in Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines. The start of its widespread use can be traced back to the early 19th century when people used it as a sedative and a replacement for opium. Over the years, people chewed on kratom leaves to heal physical pain, fight fatigue and mentally calm themselves down. However, even though it has relaxing effects on both the mental and physical states of humans it led to multiple cases of strong addiction and many countries including Thailand, had passed legislation to ban the substance and deemed possession and use of it as illegal.
Facts on Kratom:
In the present scene, kratom is still largely used as a stimulant with effects similar to that of psychostimulants such as heroin and cocaine. People are buying kratom as a substitute for the aforementioned narcotics. Recreational use of the drug is commonplace and it can be either chewed or smoked or swallowed. Ingestion of low doses (1-5 g) of kratom reported better awareness, increased energy, and enhanced efficiency. Higher doses (5-15g) results in pain relief, muscle relaxation, stimulation, and pleasure. The effects of the drug kick in about 10 minutes after ingestion. There has been medicinal use of kratom as well both in the past and the present. The past saw the drug being used to heal fever, coughs, muscle pain and as an aid to overcome morphine dependence. In recent times, the US sells kratom capsules as dietary supplements and other medications.
Healing properties of Kratom:
Keeping all the questions and controversies around the substance aside, kratom does have certain benefits, and if used wisely and in controlled amounts prescribed by specialists, it can have positive healing effects. In fact, studies show that if used at a low dosage, Kratom starts acting as a stimulant. The benefit includes high energy, being able to be more social and the active ingredients mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine works like magical pain relievers, anti-inflammatory, and muscle relaxants. In addition, Let’s take an elaborate look at some more of its pros:
- Pain relief: Kratom is proven to have pain-relieving effects and has been helpful in treating cases of arthritis, chronic backache, joint pain, and osteoporosis, etc.
- Treating addictions: While kratom itself is classified as an addictive drug, it can be said to be less harmful than narcotics such as cocaine and opioids and has been helpful in overcoming addictions to the mentioned drugs.
- Curbs anxiety, stress, and depression: Since it has the abilities to calm the mind and soothe the nerves, kratom is a useful natural medication which can reduce anxiety and stress and treat patients of depression.
- Combats fatigue and increases energy and focus: The use of kratom can help fight tiredness and can make one more energetic and focused. It has helped make a significant improvement in the work efficiency of workers and labors in the past.
- Helps treat diarrhea and aids in digestion: Kratom has been linked to solving many cases of diarrhea in the past and is widely used in the US as dietary supplements to aid digestion.
While low or controlled doses of kratom have healing capabilities, consuming a high dose may have an equally harmful effect on an individual. Let us now take a look at the risks associated with kratom:
- Side effects: Negative effects of the substance range from sweating, nausea, constipation, and loss of appetite to more severe conditions such as hallucinations, seizures, and psychosis.
- Addiction and withdrawal: The relaxing effects of kratom means users are likely to get dependent on the drug with increased use. Moreover, withdrawals are imminent if one decides to stop consuming it. Withdrawal symptoms include muscle pain, irritability, aggression, nausea, diarrhea, and insomnia, etc.
- Health concerns and death: Increased ingestion of kratom may lead to liver damage and in worst cases, death. Several deaths have been associated with the use of kratom.
There is much controversy surrounding the use of kratom. While most countries have classified the substance as a dangerous drug and prohibited its sale and use, countries like the US are still openly selling it as a medicinal drug; therefore, if you have been suffering from any of the conditions above, buying Kratom could be a good idea to test the herb’s healing power. In this article, we have discussed the pros and cons of kratom and now that we know more about it, we should definitely consult doctors or specialists before thinking about consuming it.